Monday, December 24, 2007

Moving up a notch in the world of digital cameras

I bought a Canon EOS400D camera with twin-lens kit (18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses) yesterday. Digital cameras are a godsend for novices like me. You just take as many photos as your memory card can handle, select the ones you like and discard the rest of them. Also, you don't even have to print the photos, just organise them digitally. This goes really well with my interest (read, borderline obsession) in organising my life digitally and aversion to anything paper :). I can't imagine myself ever getting into photography if not for digital cameras.

Talking about photos, if anyone is interested, have a look at my flikr account. I really have to upload rest of my photos. You may notice I hardly take photos of people. I am more interested in animals, objects and sceneries.

My first digital camera was a Fuji FinePix 2800ZOOM which broke down on 2005/08/19 during a trip to Mt.Buller. Learnt a I valuable lesson, which I should have known from the day one, never pack a camera in your luggage. I moved a step up and bought Panasonic DMC-FZ7 in August 2006. This is a pretty handy camera for someone who is not a professional but also not a complete novice. I think this is the camera which sparked an interest in photography for me. After using it for a while and getting the basics of point and click I wanted a camera which will give me more control, also I wanted a greater macro shots-which FZ7 lacked.

I have been reading up DP review (BTW, this a must visit website for anyone who is thinking about buying a camera) and narrowed my choice to Canon D400D and Nikon D40 considering my budget and the features I am really going to use. Pointless spending over $2000 on D80, when I am still an amature.

The feature which made me select Canon is cost vs feature ratio. But, I really wish Canon has added an Image Stabiliser to 400D. One of the reasons I started looking at DSLRs is they will allow me to attach a telephoto lens to it for long range photography. IS becomes very important during long range photography (further the subject is away from you the more blurring). Now, I have to buy a tripod and/or Image Stabiliser lenses.

Anyone interested in buying me a Christmas present?

No comments: